Italy in 2 Weeks (By Car): The Plan
Since we had a non-traditional “pre-wedding” trip to Ireland and Scotland, we didn’t take a traditional honeymoon right after our wedding. Instead we opted to wait a few months and take a longer trip in the spring (with a fresh batch of PTO).
There are so many places we want to go, but Italy has been at the top for awhile: the combo of gorgeous scenery, amazing food, and fascinating culture made it an easy choice for our first trip as a married couple.
With a long list of possible destinations within Italy in hand, we narrowed as best we could and came up with the following order of operations. This gave us a lovely “sampler” of Italy to eventually come back for a “deep dive” in our favorite spots, so I recommend it for anyone who (like us) wanted a “more is more” experience in this beautiful country.
- Fly into Rome
- Travel from Rome to Naples (via train)
- Take a cab to Positano
- Bus from Positano to Sorrento
- Rent a car and drive to Tuscany
- Drive from Tuscany to La Spezia (Cinque Terre)
- Drop the car off in Como and ferry around Lake Como (staying in Varenna)
- Pick the car back up in Como and drive to the drop off in Venice
- Ferry into Venice
- Ferry back to the Venice airport (and head home!)